|Phillip Miceli has contributed 1 review to The Penguin: Everything That is Fleetwood Mac:|
Behind The Mask
I liked it more than I thought I would.
Review written by Phillip Miceli from Ormond Beach, FL USA, March 22nd, 2012
I did not think very highly of this album. When I first heard that There was a fleetwood mac album without Lindsey Buckingham that didn't predate 1975, I thought how did this come into existance. but after warming up to the idea a little but, and after listening to the time album (I reviewed that one already) I thought if I could stomach some of the songs on that one, I might as well give this one a listen. and I was actually impressed with what I heard. here are my thoughts on each song.
01. Skies The Limit: (5/5) a song I first heard on the compilation: The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac. and one I liked instantly. but on the album, where it's placed, I thought it was kind of mean. Lindsey left the band, and the album after he's replaced, the very first track says " the Sky is the limit now" I'm not sure if I'm the only one who noticed this or not, I'm pretty sure this was unintentional, But it's something I thought I should point out.
02, Love is Dangerous: (4/5) Rick Vito and Stevie Nicks' Duet song. I liked it. it's one of the more underrated songs. I like the "Rockier" sound it has, for lack of a better word
03. In The Back of My Mind: (4/5) this is one of my favorites from the album. it's well written, and it's Incredably haunting. not to mention it's one I can completely relate to. the only gripe I have with it, is the 2 minute 45 second intro. there's just no real reason for that as far as i can see.
04. Do you know: (4/5) The 1st Burnette/McVie duet. their voices really compliment each other very well when they're singing in unison
05. Save Me: (5/5) The leading simgle of this album. McVie puts some of her best songs on this album. and this is no exception. this song is by far the best of the album.
06. Affairs of the heart: (5/5) I don't know what people have against this song. I love it. I escpecially like the chorus my favorite part is "well it's better to have loved and lost (ah but it's better not to lose)". I love how they just through that in there
07. When The Sun Goes Down: (4/5) I heard it a lot, but I think that's why I like it. at first I wasn't impressed at all. but later I started singing along using Vito's part, And Before long, i was hooked. this song is really catchy, and get's stuck in your head whenever you hear it.
08. Title track (Behind the Mask): (5/5) and extremely haunting ballad, very worthy to share the same name as the album.
09. Stand On The Rock: (3/5) The only track on the album that was solely written by Rick Vito. and honestly it's not that impressive. Granted, it's catchy, just the lyrics of the song not as good as some of the songs' lyrics.
10. Hard Feelings: (4/5) I hated this song the first time I heard it, but I let it grow on me and I am glad I did. if you can get passed the unusually slow (for Fleetwood Mac) tempo, it's a good song, it's a little cold hearted, but like I said, a good song.
11. Freedom: (3/5) I'm not a fan of the country sounding guitar. Fleetwood mac is not a country band, it's not even Country Rock. (and yes I am familiar with the version of "Say You love Me" from The Dance. that's more of a folky bluegrass) I like Stevie's vocals. but that fact is barely keeping it a three star rating.
12. When It Comes To Love: (4/5) the 2nd Burnette/McVie Duet. and another great song. I like this song.
13. The Second Time: (3/5) The final song. and unfortunately, it's badly placed, it would've been a lot better switched with When The Sun Goes Down. this song would've been a 4 star if it weren't the last song on the album.
Overall: (3.75/5) Good album it's better than I expected actually. but Vito, and Burnette were no replacement for Lindsey Buckingham. The album only went Gold, which is really sad. this album was worth Platinum (which thankfully it made in the UK). I just wish this lineup got more praise than what it did. Rolling stone was dead wrong , about Burnette, and Vito being the best thing to happen to Fleetwood mac. but it's still, a good lineup that should've been better praised.
Best Cuts: Save Me, Behind the Mask, Affairs of The Heart, Skies The Limit.
Worst Cuts: Stand on The Rock, Freedom. (Both these songs are still worth listening too.)